Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Ocala to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Service Experts in Ocala at 352-414-4006 to learn more.