Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.

 

  • Put in a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
  • Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
  • Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
  • Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
  • Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
  • When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
  • Do not use a cooking range to heat your home.
  • Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned yearly.

 

The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 352-414-4006 today and find out how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us